Thursday, March 15, 2007

2006 Yiwu maocha from Dragon teahouse

I just recieved a few more teas from Salsero (thanks!). He had 5g of Harney dahongpao left and he wanted my opinion of it. He also included two other teas, and since I don't know how to brew the dahongpao with only 5g of leaf, I decided to try this one first.

This time, I'm going to try using yixing. I have a very dense pot that I have been considering using for young puerh. I used 7g of leaf in a 120ml pot. After a rinse, I brewed it for 5s, 5s, 5s, 15s, 30s.

1: Mostly floral. Some vegetal, and some menthol. Leaves a floral aftertaste.
2: Mostly the same but stronger. I'm not sure if I have a taste stuck on my tongue, but it seems like it left a floral and a grainy aftertaste.
3: Floral, camphor, slight grain and hay. The aftertaste isn't as floral, and is mostly grainy.
4: I didn't reheat the water for this infusion, so it's slightly cooler than boiling. Noticeably lighter, and tastes slightly watery. Flavors still the same, and the aftertaste is mostly graininess.
5: Back to boiling. Not much flavor, and is fairly bitter.

If this wasn't a Yiwu puerh, I would think that it won't age well. It will probably be good now, just with different brewing parameters. Either less leaves, or more leaves and cooler water.

I think I have made up my mind about this pot. It was destined for bitter young sheng. Since it's fairly dense, the flavor won't be altered much at all, and it will still have the benefit of the higher temperature.

No comments: