Sunday, March 4, 2007

Dark Roast Tieguanyin from Generation tea

This is the last tea from Salsero that I haven't tried yet.

I used 7g of leaves (a layer on the bottom of the gaiwan), and after a rinse, I brewed it for 30s, 30s, 30s, 45s, 90s.

1: I didn't know how long to brew it, so I jut let the color of the tea tell me when to pour. It turned out very light. It has a roasted taste similar to hojicha.

2: It's like a strong hojicha. I noticed that the leaves smell like the TGY I home roasted a couple monthes ago. Maybe the people at Generation tea roasted it?

3: Now it tastes like the my home roasted stuff. The home roasted stuff doesn't taste like normal high fire oolongs made by skilled tea makers. It's more like burnt popcorn kernels.

4: Same, but a little light.

5: Same.

My guess is that they took a light TGY and roasted it. It was like mine, only not so horribly done. It was basically a boring, and slightly sweet roasted flavor. It's not bad on occasion, but it does get boring fast.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Interesting. You roast your own?

Warden said...

I roasted a few different teas one day. I was basically trying to make hojicha out of bad green tea, and eventually tried it with some TGY. I kinda made the teas worse.