Thursday, March 8, 2007

Second Best Teahouse

Ok, maybe the Best tea house is in China, but Salsero has devised a plan to make it possible to have a second best tea house, here in the US. He sent packages with four puerhs to Mary, Even Odd, and me. I got the package today, and was surprised to see that it was a rather large package. I was only expecting three puerhs, but he threw in a lot more. Lot's of interesting looking teas (who knew Assam had a great fruity aroma?) Salsero, thanks for all the tea!

Menghai Dayi 0622 Chi Tse
I used 7g in a 100ml gaiwan, and after a rinse I brewed it for 5s, 5s, 5s, 5s, 10s, 20s, end.

It started off mellow with kind of a woodiness and some floralness. It started developing some harshness after the third infusion. I think part of the flavor is a developing camphor taste. The later infusions leaves a momentary sweet floral aftertaste, but then turns into a lasting menthol-like aftertaste. The wet leaves in the gaiwan are somewhat chopped up (Sorry, I don't have any pictures).

With my extremely limited knowledge about puerh, I think it might be a good one to age (don't listen to me, I know nothing about puerh).



The puerh isn't exactly soothing to the stomach, so now I'll make something that is. Salsero included two shuixians from Hou De (more over roasted oolongs?).

Regular shuixian
I used 9g of leaf, and after a rinse, I brewed it for 5s, 5s, 15s, 30s, 60s, 120s.

1: Starting out a little light. It has a toasted grainy flavor. The toasted grain kinda mixes with floral in the aftertaste.

2: A stronger roasted/charcoal flavor came out. There is a slight creaminess, and the normal floral aftertaste.

3: It's mostly a very mellow charcoal flavor. It doesn't have as much an aftertaste, but it has a cooling, menthol effect.

4: A little bit of coffee came out. This one seems to show the little bit of age the tea has. It's starting to taste similar to the other aged teas I've tried.

5: Same.

6: Same.

Brewing this makes me realize just how much better yixing brews tea. I need to brew this tea in yixing.

As for the tea, this is a pretty good tea. It's labeled as a good everyday tea, which I would agree with, if it was priced a little cheaper. There are better teas for the same price.

1 comment:

Salsero said...

Thank you for the kind words.

I though these were two well written tasting notes. You give a narrative, highlight issues that struck you (like yixing), and a brief, summary evaluation.

Thanks for posting.