Sunday, March 11, 2007

'04 Six Famous Tea Mountain "silver tips"

I used 7g, and after a rinse, I brewed it for 60s, 60s, 90s, 120s.
The leaves after the rinse have a fairly strong menthol or camphor smell. Even with the long 60 second infusion, it's not very harsh at all. The camphor smell in the leaves didn't come out much into the tea. It has the usual floralness. The second infusion brought out a lot more flavor, as well as bitterness and astringency. There is a fairly strong camphor taste, and some floralness. There isn't much smokiness. The third infusion had a stronger camphor taste, and also has a good amount of smokiness. Still has floralness, and maybe some hay-like flavors.

I'm not sure if this would be a good one to age. Obviously my lack of knowledge when it comes to puerh is the reason why I don't know, but I'm not sure if this is strong enough to age. I brewed it with 60 seconds which is longer than normal, and it still wasn't very harsh. Also, the tightly compressed tuocha will age very slowly.

Does anyone know where the leaves were harvested? Hou De doesn't list the harvest area.

1 comment:

Salsero said...

I haven't tried this one yet, but your review makes me think I will enjoy it. I'm always more interested in how the sheng tastes now than in its ageing potential.

You could contact Guang at Hou De with the question of provenance of the leaves. It probably says somewhere in all that Chinese writing. He seems good at answering questions, though it may take a day or two to get the answer.

This thing was hard to break up. Do you think that is true of all tuochas or this one more than others? This is the first one I have had to break.