Friday, March 23, 2007

Two Yiwu puerhs

Lately, several people have ordered samples of two Chen Guang-He Tang Yiwu puerhs from Hou De, and posted reviews of those teas. Thanks to Salsero, I now have a chance to try them. I got the teas a couple days ago, but a cold has prevented me from trying any new teas. My sense of taste and smell has returned, and I can finally try the samples.

I'm going to start with the '06 Autumn Yeh Cha. This would be a good learner piece as I already know what more experienced puerh drinkers think of it. All the reviews I read said that this is not a good puerh. I wonder if I will think it's like other puerhs I've tried, or if I will be able to tell that it's not a good puerh.
I used 7g of leaf in a 100ml gaiwan. After a quick rinse, I brewed it for 15s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s, 90s.

1: Starting out a bit light. Mostly floral, and there seems to be a hint of honey. It doesn't leave much of an aftertaste.
2: The leaves are waking up. More floral, and also is more bitter. It seems like an aftertaste wants to come out, but is muted.
3: Floral and woody, but somehow, it seems like it turns into a watery taste. The watery taste is the closest this infusion came to an aftertaste.
4: Nothing new.
5: Dying.
6: Mellowed out, but is pretty much dead.

I wasn't sure if I would be able to tell if this was a good or bad tea. It seems like everyone who has reviewed this tea thinks that this is not a good tea, and I was expecting that I would not have the experience to tell. It did seem rather boring. There wasn't much complexity, and didn't leave much of an aftertaste. I didn't write about the clarity in the notes, but this was a fairly cloudy tea. From what I read, that is not good when considering aging potential.

And now to try the '06 Autumn Cha Wang. This one got higher ratings than the Yeh Cha.
I used 7g of leaf in a 100ml gaiwan and after a rinse, I brewed it for 15s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s.
1: After rinsing, it has a very pleasant, kinda fruity aroma. The liquor is very clear. It is floral, but it seems like there is also some fruitiness. The aftertaste is similar to the sweetness of green tea. Very enjoyable so far.
2: The flavor came out more. It's still floral, and slightly fruity, and now more woody. It leaves a fruity aftertaste. It still has a nice sweetness that is balanced with some bitterness.
3: It seems like there is now more of a berry flavor. Other than that, it's about the same.
4: Same, except that some astringency is coming out.
5: Same.

I'm noticing a pattern, and since I'm starting to notice the harsh effects on the stomach, I'm going to stop here.
I think this is definitely the better of the two. It's actually probably the most enjoyable young puerh I've tried so far. I really like the fruitiness and the berry flavor of this tea. I think this one has a better aging potential than the yehcha.

No comments: