Saturday, April 28, 2007

Second Best Teahouse continued

I have a few tea notes from the past couple days that I haven't posted, so I'll just post them all in one post before it get's out of control.

I'll start with the second best teahouse teas. Many thanks to Salsero who has sent out more teas to continue the Second Best Teahouse.

'06 Menghai 7432
4g in a 80ml pot. Rinse, 15s, 15s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 60s, 120s.
Dry leaf aroma: Smoke and fruit.
Wet Leaf aroma: Smoke, spice, cream, and a familiar aroma of some kind of candy. Gummi bears?
I didn't take as detailed notes as I thought I did. All I put down for taste was floral, hay, slight smoke, cream, and that candy smell even came out in the first infusion. I don't know why I didn't write this down, but I remember it leaving a strong aftertaste.

Overall, it was enjoyable.

'05 Six famous tea mountain organic tuocha.
4g in a 80ml pot. Rinse, 30s, 30s, 30s, 30s. I started with 30s because the leaves were very tightly compressed.
Dry leaf aroma: Smoke.
Wet leaf aroma: Spice and cream.
Edit: I tried it again using shorter times, and it came out much better.
. . . .

2000 Haiwan Guhua
I've been considering ordering a beeng of this for some time now, and thanks to Salsero, I can sample it first.
4g in a 80ml pot. Rinse, 15s, 15, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s, 60s, 120s, and one long infusion.
Dry leaf aroma: camphor, and a light aged earthiness.
Wet leaf aroma: Stronger camphor, earthy, and spice.
Most of the infusions had camphor, leather, wood, earth, and spice. The first two also had a slight creaminess, and possibly ash in an ash tray type taste. As the tea progressed, the camphor became stronger and stronger untill it started becoming more of a mellow sweetness by the sixth infusion. It has been noted before that this tea is flat and lacks acidity, and I agree.

There is plenty of room for improvement, but it wasn't bad. It is still fairly young afterall.

'07 Mengyang Guoyan Yiwu zhengshan
This one wasn't part of the 2BTH.
4g in 80ml pot. Rinse, 15s, 15s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s, 60s, 120s.
Dry leaf aroma: Light smoke and maybe berry?
Wet leaf aroma: Light camphor and vegetal.
This one seemed to start out very green tea-ish. Vegetal, butter, and very little smoke. The aftertaste left was mostly a light (floral?) sweetness. As it progressed, camphor became noticeable in the aroma, but not so much in the taste. Berry and wood started also started coming out.

Very enjoyable, especially since it didn't have the harshness present in most young sheng. I think I will probably order a beeng to set aside to age.

2 comments:

Salsero said...

I like this telegraphic review style. Several quick impressions. Quick and dirty, but it gets the thought out. You could probably shorten them up even more. Of course full reviews are always nice, but they take a lot more time for both writer and reader.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.