Monday, June 25, 2007

Random Title

I got sick of seeing the error message at the top of my blog, so I guess I should finish this one. This is one that I wrote before I started taking pictures, but I'll get some pictures up when I try these teas again.

'00 Dragon and phoenix tuocha
Yesterday, while trying to find room in the large cardboard box to put the newly acquired sheng, I pulled this one out. Since it was starting to get cramped in that box, I figured that the smell of this one would negatively affect the smell of the other tea right next to it. So, this tea was out in the open when I was deciding on the first tea of the day.

6g in 10cl shu pot. Rinse, 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s, 60s.
Dry leaf: Very light and airy damp smell with some camphor.
Wet leaf: More earthy and damp.
The tight compression makes a light tea untill around the fifth infusion. The tea has a camphor and a damp earthy aroma. The taste is a smooth and mellow damp and earthy taste. There is a little leafiness or grassiness that suggests that it's not very old. As this tea progresses throughout the infusions, the chunk gets looser and looser. And as it get looser, a woody flavor comes out to balance the damp flavors. As you can see from the the parameters, this one has good durability. Although, I think the tight compression of the chunk makes it only seem like it got that many infusions. The strongest infusion was around the fifth infusion, rather than the second or third.

Overall, it's had enough time to mellow, but I think it still needs more time. Hopefully dry storage will lessen the damp flavors overtime.

Dianhong
This is another tea courtesy of Salsero. It came in the usual ziplock bags that Yunnan Sourcing ships tea, and was labeled "dianhong." After trying this tea, I found out from Salero that it's the "aged just enough" 2005 one.

7g in a 10cl gaiwan. Rinse, 15s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 60s.
I've tried this tea once before, but I don't think my sense of taste was good enough to enjoy the tea, let along write tasting notes. I remember it having a really odd aroma, and a very cloudy and thick liquor. Because of my dislike of red teas, and from what I remember, I don't have very high expectations for this tea.

The aroma of the leaves is unlike any other Yunnan red tea I've tried (not that I've tried many). The only familiar aroma is "pepper." Other than that, it's hard to describe. It's kinda sour, and possibly "earthy?"

Pouring this tea, it appears very thick and cloudy. In the cup, it's almost as dark as shu. Taking a sip, I realize just how wrong it was to have such low expectations for this tea. The mouthfeel of this tea is very smooth, and mellow. The flavor was a bit sour, but I noticed more familiar characteristics of dianhong in the actual tea. Pepper, fruit and malt or carmalized sugar. I still can't describe half of the tea, but it's what makes this one more interesting and enjoyable than any of the other ones I've tried.

This tea was just what I needed to develop an interest in red teas again.

2 comments:

Bill said...

yeah, new font and background! As always, a great post!

Mary R said...

I'm very much liking the aesthetic changes you've made to the blog, and your review is great too!