Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Aged beer

Beer can be aged too. :p At almost a year old, it's still not very old, but it at least has had the ability to age since the yeast is still in the bottle. The beer is the porter I brewed last winter, and wrote tasting notes for last March. Most beer sites (and beer labels) say to age beer at a cellar temp of 55F, but this one has been at room temp most of the time.

It was served at room temperature in a glass mug. Very slow pouring creates about a finger sized head (all the mug would fit). I will upload the pic tomorrow.
Since last March, I have noticed this beer change a couple times. a couple months after it was bottled, the maltiness was so strong that it was syrupy sweet. The chocolate flavors started becoming a bit more distinct, but still not as strong. At that point, I didn't really care to drink it because of the overwhelming sweetness of it.

Since then, the syrupy sweetness has mellowed a lot. It still has a good amount of maltiness, but it's in good balance with the bitterness. Dark chocolate is now more distinct, and now even has a bit of alcohol present in the taste. I didn't think it was that high gravity of a beer to begin with, but it now reminds me of Russian imperial stouts. If there is any flavor left by the hops, it's either well hidden or gone. Also, the fruity esters I noticed the first time have disappeared.

I'm rather surprised by what it aged into. I didn't expect much after it became a syrupy mess, but I guess that yeast still can eat away at the excess sweetness if given enough time. I'm going to hold onto a few of them to age longer, and will blog once they come out of the cellar again.

1 comment:

Steven Dodd said...

The only beer aging I've done is some domestic canned beer up in an attic with extreme temperature fluctuations during the seasons for a couple years. It doesn't age as gracefully. Hopefully the beer mooches at social gatherings won't mind.