Friday, February 15, 2008

Green tea and a silver teapot

After some talk about silver kettles, my dad pulled out an old silver teapot. It has previously been used a lot, but eventually just started to tarnish as it sat in storage over the years.




So, first tea to be brewed in silver will be guricha from Mellow Monk. If I'm not mistaken, silver will lose heat faster, so I think it will be more suitable for green tea.

The teapot is preheated and I threw the leaves in. A strong sweet green tea aroma filled the air immediately.
Fukamushi drinkers would be pleased with the color. Unlike fuka that will clear up when everything settles, it remains a cloudy green/yellow. The flavor starts out like just a sweet grassy green, but the flavor becomes crisper after swallowing. Possibly slightly roasted, grassy, and tangy/dried fruit.

I think I slightly overbrewed it because the grassy flavors were stronger than normal, but the result was still incredible. I'm not sure if it's completely because of the silver teapot just because I'm not that familiar with this tea. I'll have to brew it in a kyusu before I say that it was indeed the silver that made the difference.

Parameters: 1tbs/240ml and 80C water (with a preheat).

5 comments:

Salsero said...

It seems to me that Phyll (using Danica's silver pot), and maybe Stephane also, claimed that a silver brewing vessel throws into high relief the true character of the tea -- both good and bad features -- highlighting and exaggerating exactly what is there. No place to hide, no soft edges.

If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the excellent guricha thrives in such an environment!

Warden said...

After brewing it in a kyusu with the same parameters, I agree with them. All the flavors blend together when brewed in a kyusu. However, silver made it a much more complex tea.

The silver pot is a bit big, and doesn't have a filter, but I think it's going to see a good amount of use now.

Salsero said...

Kool! How did you clean the dusty, tarnished old thing before using it?

Bill said...

Dang dude you got to get your camera working! Sal, interesting point! Must do some investigating

Hop

Warden said...

I've had to remove the tarnish several times already, and I imagine I'll have to constantly remove it as long as I'm using it. To remove it, I wrap the pot in aluminum foil, and boil it in water with some baking soda. The tarnish magically transfers to the foil.

As for actual cleaning, it took repeated use for a few monthes. It had an "antique" smell that took forever to go away.