Monday, December 22, 2008

I might post today

I just decided to try writing tasting notes (one again), and ended up stumbling across a lot of old posts that would be very helpful in the future. So, I'm going to try to post them, however rough they might be.

5/22/08
'06 Haiwan laotongzhi

I was curious how my puerh is aging, so I decided to try this one. It was a favorite last year

~1/4 leaves, rinse, 30s, 15s, forgot, forgot, and forgot (I didn't list)

The aroma of the leaves hasn't really changed. Still packs a good amount of campfire smoke, a slight citrus aroma, and a bit of a "green" aroma. Still smells pretty good.

First infusion: Medium mouthfeel. Citrus shows up first, and slowly fades to cigarette smoke. Menthol cigarettes? It has a strong menthol, cooling effect on the tongue. Finishes with a good amount of astringency, no meaningful aftertaste.

Second infusion: Bitter! I obviously lost my tolerance of sheng bitterness. Kinda like green/cirtus flavor, that becomes a menthol/smoky flavor.

Third infusion: I still have hopes that this will age well. I imagine the current menthol flavors will become camphor, and the smoke will make a more "masculine" tasting old pu. I just don't want to drink it again until it's well aged. :/


On the opposite side of the fennce: laotongzhi shu. I recently found that I still have some of this left from Salsero's second best teahouse. It was one of the first few shus I've tried that I actually liked

3 small chunks in a 100ml pot. long rinse, 30s, forgot, forgot, and forgot.

Dry leaf: I finally found the rubber! Everyone talked about it smelling like rubber, but I never noticed it until now.
Wet leaf: very malty, and only a bit of rubber.

First infusion: The liquor is fairly light for a shu. I can just barely see the bottom of the cup. Very smooth, but rubber covers the more pleasant maltiness.

Second infusion: A lot darker, but still light enough to have dark ruby edges. Tastes about the same as the first.

No comments: